With a Shaded Pole motor, you can simply reduce the voltage, say with a light dimmer and the motor produces less torque, then with less torque the air friction on the fan blades causes it to slow down, which in turn moves less air.
How can I reduce the speed of my fan motor?
The speed of Fan can be slow down by simply by connecting a bulb or any other resistive load in series between the power supply and fan. In this method if the watt of connecting Load is increased then the speed of Fan is also increased.
What causes fan to slow down?
Slowing With Age
There are three main culprits for a slowing fan: a problem with the bearings, a blade out of balance or a bad capacitor. Over time, the bearings in the fan can become gummed up from dirt and oil, or dried out and in need of oil.
How do you slow down a 12 volt fan motor?
Get a three 1.8 ohm 2 watt resistors, connect them in parallel and put them in series with your fan (put them in the air stream of the fan to help cool them). That should slow your fan down and reduce the load.
How do you slow down a single phase motor?
- You can get single phase output VFD’s to slow down single phase induction motors. …
- Variacs/triacs/rotary dimmers can work to control speed on some types of single phase induction motors (again, PSC and shaded pole) but they really only work well in fan applications because the torque is reduced so much at lower speeds.
How do you bypass a fan regulator?
You can bypassed the regulator quite easily by connecting the AC in and AC out on the regulator. By doing so your fan will always at be maximum speed. If your regulator is faulty and you can’t find an equivalent, a simple flexidimmer (from Amazon.com or any online shopping…etc)can do the job.
How do you fix an overheating electric fan?
How to Fix Electric Fan Overheating?
- Remove front grill and remove the blades.
- Remove the screws carefully.
- Remove the motor cover.
- Check if the motor has accumulated dust. The dust can make your fan drag endlessly and thus get overheated.
- Brush out the dust. Take care not to damage any connections and cables while you are at it.
How do you control the speed of a 12v fan?
All we need to do is insert a rheostat or variable resistor in the 12V wire to the fan. The rheostat should be rated at least 3 Watt, (for fans up to 10Watt), and have a resistance of 20 – 50 Ohms. If you are using this mod on your CPU fan then use the 20 ohm rheostat to prevent fan stall at the slowest speed setting.
What causes an electric motor to slow down?
Many of the parts in an electric motor are effectively non-serviceable as a do-it-yourself task, such as the windings, but you can replace the brushes that make contact with the armature. Worn brushes are often responsible for a motor that turns slowly, as the contacts break down and current can’t be applied.
How do you slow down a 3 phase motor?
Variable frequency drive VFD is the best way to control the speed of three phase motor.
Speed of a 3 Phase Induction motor can be controlled by these methods:
- Stator Voltage control.
- Rotor resistance control.
- By changing Pole.
- Supply Frequency control.